Construction electricians plan, assemble, install, alter, repair, inspect, verify, commission, operate and maintain electrical systems.
Construction electricians plan, assemble, install, alter, repair, inspect, verify, commission, operate and maintain electrical systems. Electrical systems provide heating, lighting, power, security, communication and control in residential, commercial, institutional, industrial and entertainment environments.
They lay out, assemble, repair, maintain, connect, and test electrical fixtures, apparatus, control equipment and wiring. They also work on alarm, communication, light, heating, and power systems. Construction and Maintenance Electricians also construct and maintain generation, transmission, and distribution stations. (Source: Power Workers Union)
- Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program is usually required.
- Trade certification for construction electricians is compulsory in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta and available, but voluntary, in British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified construction electricians upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
Applicable transferrable sectors/occupations:
National Occupational Standard
NOS are a benchmark of the knowledge and abilities needed to be competent in a particular occupation. Developed by current job incumbents, NOS are a collection of the individual competencies that make up the whole picture of an occupation.
Related NOC code:
- 72200 – Electricians (except industrial and power system)
- Construction Electricians may work outside and be exposed to harsh weather conditions, including intense heat and cold, and adverse weather conditions, like wind and rain.
- They may be required to work at heights, in confined spaces or in hazardous environments.
- They require manual dexterity, some degree of flexibility and physical strength and stamina to complete their work tasks.