As qualified candidates begin to filter into your company’s available positions, there are some things you can do to set your team up for long-term success. By cultivating an environment that supports team members’ growth and success, your company will not only become a desirable place for those on the job hunt, but retention rates will also increase, and your organization will be seen as an industry leader. Here are six ways professional skills training helps attract and retain quality talent:
1. It signals a positive and evolving workplace
- With mental health and industry-specific skills training at the forefront of employee development, employers have recently learned that without investing in team members’ professional development, they are missing a vital piece of creating a positive and evolving work culture.
2. It provides a unique opportunity for skills development and growth
- Training develops assets such as transferable skills like communication, leadership, learning, problem-solving, and teamwork, which boosts employee productivity, motivation, and confidence in the workplace.
3. It enhances your company’s curb appeal
- While finding the most qualified candidate is the goal for any hiring manager, it’s equally essential for future employees to find the ideal company that meets their career goals. Eager candidates will conduct company research, ensuring their final destination fosters a positive work environment, offers competitive compensation, and encourages career development and growth. Set your team apart from the competition by offering each of these items.
4. It increases job satisfaction and engagement
- Companies with engaged employees outperform those without by up to 202%. Feeling prepared and supported by employers with tools and training provides teams with outstanding confidence and the ability to go the extra mile. Keeping staff engaged comes from investing time, energy, and attention to their needs and long-term goals.
5. It creates a culture of security and support
- When asked, 94% of employees said they would remain dedicated if their company invested in their professional development. Offering team members the chance to grow and expand their skill sets creates a feeling of security and support, with an understanding that career development/promotion is achievable. Without this fundamental piece, turnover rates will continue to increase, and long-term position growth will diminish, which in turn can cost organizations exceptional fees in attracting new talent year over year.
6. It creates new possibilities for employees
- By nurturing the right leaders with your company’s vision and mastery of transferable skills, you will be able to hire internally for available managerial positions. Not only does this foster a community of educated leaders, but it signals to others within the company that you’re committed to their growth and ensuring that they are in the best-suited positions within the organization.
EHRC is now offering a Professional Skills Training Program geared to electricity sector candidates looking for the tools needed to evolve their career paths and become exceptional leaders. This program highlights the ten most wanted skills in the sector, focusing on identifying current strengths, weaknesses, and areas for improvement. When offered to team members, this online program provides both employers and staff with the tools to take charge of professional development in a safe and empowering environment.
What are you waiting for? Prepare your team with skills training today! Learn more about EHRC’s Skills Development Training Program here.